Wednesday, March 3, 2010

An Announcement

I have written this blog entry over and over again in the past week and each time, I end up deleting it. So I will just cut to the chase, as most of you know the news anyway. If you don’t know what I am talking about….Be prepared.

Eric has cancer.

Ugly, stupid cancer in his liver and he is undergoing a partial liver resection on Monday the 8th at the Cleveland Clinic that will hopefully get rid of his tumor. The past month has been a whirlwind of ER visits, doctor visits, testing and procedures—but we finally got the answers we feared. Now, we just need to fix it. In preparation of this surgery, Eric has undergone a procedure to beef up his left side of his liver so that his recovery is easier on him. He has been a trooper through all this. Eric Reed is my hero.

I actually debated whether or not to broadcast this on my blog about my beautiful twins, as it is a happy place. After talking with Eric, we decided that perhaps posting this will help me in some sort of way.

I feel broken. I am scared for my husband. I am scared for my children. Pretty safe to say I now get less sleep now than when we first brought Olivia and Ethan home. People ask questions I do not have answers for. My husband is thirty-two years old and has cancer. A type of cancer that seventy year-old men get. How f***ed up is that? A month ago, our biggest problem was who was on our guest list for our children’s baptism guest list and now… Well now, everything else seems so trivial.

Eric and I have often been categorized as competitive and stubborn. I firmly believe that those two attributes will get Eric through this time and we will, for lack of better words, kick cancer’s ass. A motto that has transpired over our years together has been “Reeds don’t Lose”. I hope and pray that this will hold true and perhaps one day, a t-shirt will be made in our honor.

I will be back to update Eric’s progress, with some twins updates as well. They are the real super stars on this blog anyway.

I would also like to take this time to thank our family and friends for the love and support they have given us while getting to this point. Olivia and Ethan are well-taken care of and continue to make each day better with their smiles.

Please keep Eric in your thoughts and prayers.

19 comments:

  1. You're making me tear up!

    Know that we're always here for you and will support you in any way that we can. You guys are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. Definitely kick cancer's ass.

    Stay strong. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are in my thoughts, I've been wondering what was going on but didn't want to be rude and ask. He's young and a fighter so I know he'll be OK. If you need anything let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay strong Reed Family! We're all praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you guys....a positive attitude will go a long way...I am happy to see the "fight" in you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reeds don't lose and you will wear that t-shirt soon! Don't just kick cancer's ass clothesline it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely have your family in my thoughts and prayers. Keep up that fighting and there's no doubt he'll pull through with flying colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always here if you need anything! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. except diapers....I have never been so confused in Target....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love you both, but you already know that. But I will keep telling you, because that's all I've got. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. thinking and praying for you - getting Eric a tshirt that sums it up, had one for my mom too when she fought the bastard cancer. it says F*@k Cancer. that is the fighting spirit we know he will have. your 2nd cousin in FL - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Colleen, my name is Anna and I'm a volunteer with the I'm Too Young for This! Cancer Foundation (http://i2y.com) and a 9 year survivor myself. We're a support and advocacy organization for young adults with stupid cancer!! I encourage you and/or your husband to check out the site and feel free to get in touch with me at abrower@i2y.com. I know what a terrible time this is, and hopefully it can lend you guys some support. -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  12. You Reeds are in my thoughts and prayers constantly! Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praying for you and Eric every day. I hope for a speedy complete recovery and a lifetime of happiness and loving on those adorable kiddos of yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You and your husband are in our thoughts and prayers. May he be blessed with a speedy and safe recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thinking of you guys!!! always hear if you need anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Our hearts and prayers go out to you and your family!!!
    Greg and Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Colleen, I just found this link. THINKING OF YOU, and I would definitely buy that t-shirt. :)

    ReplyDelete