Monday, April 5, 2010

Dear Interwebs

I have been thinking that perhaps I will start a new segment on Mondays asking YOU, my readers for help with my kids. Because, we all know whatever you read on the internet is true, right?

Sooooo..

Dear Interwebs,

My kids hate to be on their tummies. Hate it. Olivia will, in fact, go on her tummy and then swiftly roll over onto her back. When she gets angry about that, she will lay on her side. Ethan, on the other hand, just flat out whines incessantly while on his stomach and has no interest of rolling over. The both enjoy sitting up on their own, but then get irritated when they lean forward and ultimately, end up on their stomachs (side notes- doesn't the word "stomachs" look weird?)

So how do I get Olivia and Ethan to enjoy tummy time until they realize that it is the gateway to mobility?

Leave me a comment and I appreciate the help!

4 comments:

  1. Will they tolerate it with some toys to look at and/or play with? Try to put them up on their knees... maybe they'll figure it out. I dunno!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to put my kids on the boppy pillow with their arms over the pillow like an inner tube. I think they felt more secure with the sides of the boppy to hold them up. I would then put their favorite toys or binkie or snacks down in front so that they would have to reach for them. They tended to use their legs to give them an extra leverage. We would also try having them lay down on one of us belly to belly. I think all kids hate tummy time, but they really only need about 10 minutes per day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would try increasing time on the belly alittle more ever other day. Start out at 1 minute increment. Then increase slowly. We were in the same position.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mason really really really hated it. He loved to sleep on his tummy, but hated "playing" on it. Honestly, I didn't push it and after a little while, he found out how fun it was on his own.

    ReplyDelete